Permanent | Full-Time † | Remote *
Engineering Managers at Scoir are expected to be leaders and influencers whose contributions impact both the success of their team and the organization at large. They should be the exemplar of getting the right things done, through teamwork and collaboration, not just individual effort. They understand and embrace management fundamentals, while learning and improving rapidly.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Deep understanding of agile management practices and modern software engineering trends
- Confidence in managing engineers with varying skill sets and backgrounds
- Track record of successful project delivery
- Capacity to balance your time between people and code (~60% people, ~40% code)
- Willingness to collaborate with Product Management and Design to identify priorities, scope and timeline
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
- Oversee complex projects through successful release
- Own technical support, operations, and releases in their team’s area of responsibility
- Act as an advocate and mediator for team and organization-wide engineering concerns
- Identify bottlenecks in processes and other roadblocks to success for your team and remove them
- Identify headcount needs for the team and work with the VP of Engineering to fill these needs
- Own the technical roadmap for your team: identify areas of technical debt, conduct cost/benefit analysis for resolving this debt, and communicate implications and timelines for prioritization
- Engage in technical deliverables without blocking or slowing down the progress of their team, including small features and bug fixes
- Track your team's availability, efficiency and quality of work
- Assist in regularly adjusting processes and timelines
Scoir provides a software platform that expands college access and improves student outcomes. History shows that higher education is the surest path to expand opportunities for advancement in life, yet far too many high school students fail to realize those opportunities. Scoir simplifies college research and application decision-making with beautifully designed software that engages, informs, and facilitates interaction among students, parents, counselors, and colleges. We are a for-profit social enterprise, meaning our positive social impact is equally as important as financial return, and we’re just getting started in our quest to completely reform college admissions.
Scoir is a high-paced environment but you will have some flexibility as to when and where you get your work done. We care for our employees and their families and treat them as we would like to be treated. You will be challenged. You will be rewarded. You will be welcomed here.
Since closing our office in March 2020, our team has more than doubled and continues to expand in a 100% remote working mode. We care for our employees and their families and treat everyone as we would like to be treated. Scoir provides:
- health insurance for you and your family
- dental insurance for you and your family
- retirement savings with 4% company matching contribution (no vesting)
- participating in employee stock option plan
- two weeks of paid parental leave
- two weeks of paid maternity leave (in addition to parental leave)
- unlimited PTO
- home office stipend
Our six principles guide how we expect all team members to act and treat one another. While at Scoir, we expect you to be:
Innovative: Creativity and innovation is not a right, but an obligation of all. We’re creating something new. Crazy ideas and alternative perspectives foster ingenuity. We try many new things (some big, some small) and fail often, but learn and improve with each.
Passionate: Positivity and enthusiasm are natural byproducts of pursuing our passions, and they are infectious. We act with urgency and precision because we believe deeply in our undertaking.
Supportive: We succeed and fail as a team; we do not indulge prima donnas. A group loyal to each other accomplishes more than any collection of individuals.
Transparent: We share openly and honestly because we trust and respect one another. Constructive criticism is more valuable than affirmation when the goal is perpetual improvement.
Audacious: Incremental change does not yield substantive improvement. To fundamentally disrupt the status quo, we must think boldly, act boldly, and be bold. We embrace risk-taking.
Tenacious: We are open-minded, but not dismayed by adversity. We pursue endeavors relentlessly because we are confident in our purpose.
Click to upload a résumé and cover note explaining your qualifications and interest.
* While we greatly value diversity, as a small business we are not registered to do business in every state nor do we have the resources to navigate overly-complex U.S. immigration laws. To be considered for this position, you must reside in AZ, DE, FL, GA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, SC, TN, or TX and be authorized to work in the U.S.A. on a permanent full-time basis without a visa or employer-sponsorship.